CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Friday, June 18, 2010

Settling in....

Well we have been in AL since Sunday and I finally feel settled. Clothes are unpacked and hung up in a closet or tucked in a drawer. Beds are put together and made and the bathroom is organized and less chaotic!
We are staying in a three bedroom town home with Nate and his wife Alex and Todd their sweet dog. They have the master suite which includes a bathroom. We have the two other bedrooms and the hall bathroom, all of the rooms are upstairs. There is also a half bath in the laundry room on the main level so with three toilets, we're doing great! :)
As you saw in the last post, my mom road down with myself and the girls. She flew back on Tuesday (and well Wednesday) to head back to work. On Tuesday we made the drive to Panama City, about an hour and a half, to take her to the airport. We found the Panama City airport with no problem and then found TGI Fridays for lunch. We then went shopping at a local strip mall before going back to the airport, just down the road from where we were. Thankfully we were an hour and half early when we pulled in to read the sign that said "Airport Closed." You can only imagine the pit in our stomachs as we thought...WHAT! There were about 4 cars behind us with the same look on their faces. My first reaction was to pull out my GPS....yah that airport was the only one on the GPS. So I pulled out my phone with my handy dandy Internet and nothing! We look at the itinerary for mom's trip that she printed out and it said "Panama City Northwest Regional Airport." So I typed that into both devices and again...NOTHING! I thought..."is this some kind of joke?" Then I remembered when were on the highway seeing a sign for the Northwest Florida airport and thinking "hmmm...we are almost to Panama so why would 2 airports be so close together?" I headed back to the highway an on the way found a billboard advertising this "new" airport! AH! A NEW airport...how new? We had to stop for gas so I ran in and asked the attendant for help and she was awesome, it was at the second light, take a left and down the road! SWEET!! While going a little over the speed limit we rushed to the next airport and found it! As I pull in to park, we are greeted by a shuttle driver for the airport who pointed out the ONLY spot open in the parking lot! THANK YOU GOD for sending him to greet us! We pulled in and he followed and offered us a ride, it wasn't a far walk but in the heat with two kids, it was welcomed! On the short ride he began to tell us that the airport had only been open a month, it was not showing up on any GPS or Map quest yet and very little cell coverage was in the area so needless to say we were not the only panicked travelers! We got in and since the airport is a little smaller than KCI we had no problem checking mom in. Then came the tears and we hugged her and said goodbye as we wouldn't see her until August. We watched her go through security and then we left. I was 3/4 the way back to the house when she called me saying that after they had boarded the plane to head to Atlanta (where she would connect to KC) they were then escorted off the plane. Atlanta shut down their airport due to severe storms. UGH! She was told to stay by the terminal and wait. She finally left Panama City at 7:30 to head to Atlanta (her original time was 3:30). Finally in Atlanta she stood in this HUGE line to find out how she would get to KC since her original plan was to land at 8:35 so obviously that wasn't going to happen. I think it was about midnight when she finally was assigned to a plane home, which wouldn't leave until 6 something the next day! So this is my mom's first time traveling by herself and she is stuck overnight in the Atlanta airport! She was such a trooper, she said she dozed a few times and met some nice people. Once home Wednesday morning, she ate and crashed!
I felt HORRIBLE that she went through all of that on my expense, but she said she would do it again in a heartbeat, bless you mom!
Well, the girls are driving me nuts this morning, they have so much energy so I think we will change and hit the pool for the remainder of the morning....it is walking distance and free for us and other town home residents...plus it opens at 9AM and it is HOT outside!
See y'all later....and don't worry....I have yet to pick up on any accent! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment